ONLINE + VIDEO GAMES
THERAPY FOR GAMING ADDICTION IN NEW YORK CITY
There is hope with help
get the support you need
what DOES online GAMING addiction look like?
Key signs of addiction are preoccupation and continued use despite it impacting your relationships, career, or daily life.
Individuals who have an addiction to video games or online games experience an intense focus with playing them. This preoccupation can begin to disrupt daily life. Someone with an unhealthy relationship with video games or online gaming may try to stop playing on their own without success. You may be experiencing an addiction to video games or online gaming if you keep playing despite awareness of how it negatively impacts your work, school, and relationships.
WHAT YOU MAY BE EXPERIENCING
- Preoccupation or thinking about internet games
- Feelings of irritability, anxiety, or sadness when internet gaming is unavailable or restricted
- Needing to spend more and more time playing to feel good
- Unsuccessful attempts to control the amount of time spent gaming
- Loss of interest in previous hobbies and entertainment as a result of, and with the exception of, internet games
- Problems at work, school, or home (such as repeatedly arriving late or failing to complete expected tasks or responsibilities) due to gaming
- Continued excessive use of internet games despite awareness of problems at work, school, or home
- Minimizing the true nature of game use with family members, therapists, or others
- Using gaming to escape reality or avoid confronting problems
- Supportive individuals in your life have expressed a concern about the amount of time you spend gaming
- A job, significant relationship, education or career opportunity has been jeopardized or lost either indirectly or directly as a result of gaming
WHO DOES GAMING ADDICTION AFFECT?
Gaming addiction affects individuals of various ages and backgrounds.
The power of play, especially video and online games, transcend age, gender, and where we live. The stereotype that only teenage boys play video games no longer holds true. Today, more adult women endorse playing video games than children and teenagers under the age of 18. The Entertainment Software Association reported that in 2020, 214.4 million Americans played some type of video game. Furthermore, video games have become a central feature of people’s lives, especially since the start of the pandemic. According to Nielsen Videogame Tracking, the number of people playing video games increased 46% in the United States since the start of the pandemic.
THERAPISTS WHO CAN HELP
NYC Therapists Who Specialize in Gaming Addiction
Connecting with the right therapist is the most important factor in your search. We’re here to help you find your perfect match.
How can therapy help?
Therapy can help equip you with the tools to overcome gaming addiction.
Therapists at Clarity Therapy provide psychotherapy for clients who are looking to develop a healthy relationship with online games. You’ll experience the benefits of attending therapy tenfold. Our therapists can help you learn and implement effective new coping skills, set boundaries and limits, and explore ways to have a healthy and productive relationship with online games. Below are some therapeutic approaches we use:
Insight-oriented therapy is based on the belief that through increased consciousness we can create new life experiences. This therapeutic process involves the therapist and client exploring and gaining a better understanding of how feelings, beliefs, actions, and events from the past may be influencing our current mindset and circumstances. The goal of insight-oriented therapy is to empower you with a sense of clarity so that you have the freedom to make new, adaptive, and healthier choices that support your continuing growth.
This process is focused on addressing thought patterns, physical symptoms, and behaviors. Research shows that CBT is a very effective form of treating a variety of issues. Through compassionate and supportive care, we hope to create a safe space for you to feel comfortable in starting the process toward growth and reducing the feelings of depression and anxiety you may be feeling.
Through consistent practice, like meditation, we become more focused on the present and understand our experience in the here-and-now. Mindfulness teaches us to shift our attention away from negative thought patterns that lead to the unsatisfactory and problematic thoughts and behaviors and move toward positive and meaningful growth. Mindfulness can be used alone or combined with insight-oriented therapy and CBT.
interested in therapy for gaming addiction?
Get in touch today.
To learn more about how we can help, schedule a complimentary consultation with a therapist who specializes in recovery from online gaming addiction.